Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Well it's official.....

tomatoes out, okra in. Services will be held this afternoon following the demise of our tomato plants. Despite dramatic attention and TLC, the heat was just too much. They have just quit producing. We have been debating whether or not to re-till and plant something, but until the heat breaks I don't see much future in it. The okra, on the other hand, is thriving and bountiful.
We are getting about a half gallon every day right now. If it doesn't get picked every day, we have to pitch the huge pods so I either check early in the morning or late afternoon. I still can't get used to the color, but it surely is nice okra.

Hubby promises we will go grocery shopping this afternoon...going to try for corn today. My daughter and son-in-law's friend who lives with them polished off a quart of my salsa overnight, so my daughter wants to make him a double batch he can call his own. Since I don't have enough tomatoes to make it, we're going to check the produce place and see if we can buy a bushel. We only have one jar left here - and I have enough for two batches in my freezer, so I've got to get moving on the canning operation. The stuff is that good...it doesn't last very long.
This is Little Man...he doesn't have anything to do with tomatoes or okra, but isn't he cute! He spent the night with us Saturday night...helped Pawpaw water the yard. We had to change his clothes twice because he wasn't very accurate with the hose. I think he even watered Pawpaw.

Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: