Sunday, August 15, 2010

Oooh, pie!


This is one of my dogs, Suzy.I am still experiencing a lack of batteries...I just wanted to give you something to look at.

Got hungry for something sweet today. I had seen a recipe for a re-make on lemon icebox pie, so I thought that sounded good. IT IS! Very simple to make, and I have already thought of a variation that sounds good too.

1 (12 oz.) can of evaporated milk
2 (3.4 oz.) packages lemon instant mix
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 (12 oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie crust

Whisk together evaporated milk, both boxes of pudding mix and the lemon zest in a bowl until mixture is thickened - about 2 minutes.

Beat softened cream cheese and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add thawed lemonade concentrate, beating until smooth. Add the milk mixture and beat until well blended. Pour into crust, cover and chill until firm. Serve each slice with whipped cream.

Now. The filling is very good - tart and sweet. I was thinking a lime pie would be pretty good too. You could just substitute limeade for the lemonade, lime zest for the lemon zest, and use a chocolate crumb crust instead of graham cracker. You would have to add a little food coloring to make it green. The lime taste should over ride the lemon pudding, especially with the use of the fresh lime zest.

You could also make it in a square cake pan, and scoop it out or cut it in squares. I have also made the old fashioned Eagle Brand, lemon juice (or lime juice) and 1 egg pie, folding in a carton of whipped topping. It makes the pie a lot fluffier and adds mass.

I miss my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: