Saturday, August 7, 2010

Salsa Day

I made salsa yesterday and I tweaked the recipe a little. Since we will not have the on-going tomato crop, I used half drained diced canned tomatoes and half fresh tomatoes I had frozen. It was every bit as good as the original and still had the good summer tomato taste. So I still have enough for 3 more batches in the freezer.
This is the boiling water bath...I made all pints to can, we had a quart I didn't process - just put it in the fridge, and a small bowl we ate. Pints process for 15 minutes.

This is me in my torn up kitchen....we took the wall out and are slowly but surely finishing it. Those jars are hot, hot, hot!
It really turned out great...I got 8 pints in addition to the quart and bowl.

We also found some corn...of all places...WalMart. We bought a few ears to test...it was yellow and white, clean, and the raw kernels were sweet. (I snitched one). I put them on top of the fresh greenbeans and new potatoes and steamed it. It was very, very good. It was also only $.30 an ear, making a bushel only $18 as opposed to the $25 price at the produce store. We are trying not to be hogs, but we are going to go back and get more to freeze. I cut the stalk end and the top end off and freeze it in freezer bags. It holds very well like that and all we have to do is wash it and put it on the grill.

Sure would be nice if we had a little rain in the near future. Have a glorious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: