Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I stuffed...

green peppers last night.
Cut the top and core out of the peppers. You can use a spoon to get the pithy part out, rinse well to get all the seeds out.
Brown the ground beef...you don't have to cook it to death. I added the chopped onions and cooked til they were translucent.
Put your peppers in boiling water or use a steamer. Cook just until they get a little tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and drain. Place in a baking dish.
I seasoned the ground beef with a little Worcestershire sauce, pepper and garlic, then added about a cup of my salsa.

Put the seasoned ground beef mixture in each pepper, gently packing down as you go. NOW...this is where Hubby and I don't see eye to eye. I think ketchup should be one of the seven basic food groups. He, on the other hand, does not share my fondness. I would have put ketchup or a ketchup mixture on top of this like you would on a meatloaf. But in the interest of not seeing him curl his upper lip at the sight of baked on ketchup on the peppers, I left them plain. You can use your favorite barbecue sauce if you like.

I added a little water to the baking dish and cut up some new potatoes and laid around the peppers, baked them at 350 degrees until the potatoes were done.

When the peppers and potatoes were done I sprinkled them with american and white american cheese and returned to the oven just until the cheese was melted. They don't take very long to cook since everything is already cooked before assembly.

Some people like rice in them, some like them with Italian seasonings, some people like a little tomato sauce or drained canned tomatoes in the meat mixture. These would have been good with Spanish rice as a side but I just didn't have it in me. Fresh tomatoes were pretty good with them.

It's supposed to be dangerously hot today...guess I'll stay in and pout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: