Thursday, August 5, 2010

Uh-Oh!

We finally went grocery shopping and boy did we get a surprise. We went to Aldi's first and got a few canned goods we needed to restock. On the way back home we went to the produce store to get a few things. I have never been so disappointed in my life...we had called about a bushel of corn and they told us they still had plenty. Evidently, between the time we called and the time we got there...the bushels were gone, and what was out I wouldn't have. It was wormy and looked like it had been picked sometime last week. Plus, it was $.79 an ear. Squash was $2 a pound and nearly everything in there was high as a cat's back.

They did have really nice green peppers and onions, so I got enough to make two batches of salsa with the tomatoes I froze.  Their tomatoes were $2 per pound, and a half bushel was $15. I would have been afraid to can with them...they were soft and some were starting to "bruise" (just about to go bad).

So, I'm very, very proud of what we were able to put in the freezer. I did buy some fresh green beans, they were pretty nice, and I got enough new potatoes to cook on top of the beans.
I watched TV while I snapped the beans. This colander I have belonged to my Mother...she had it before I was born so I guess it qualifies as an antique. One leg is missing and it has dents all over it, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Wash the beans and set them to drain.

Put them in a pan with a lid, salt and pepper them, put in a chunk of onion and season with bacon drippings. Add water just to the top of the beans, place over medium to low heat, cover and cook and cook and cook. We like them slow cooked for about a half a day. When they get done, set them off the heat. At supper time, make sure they have plenty of liquid, put them back on the burner and when they start producing steam, place your cleaned new potatoes on top and cover. Don't peel the new potatoes...just cut out any eyes or spots you don't want. I salt the potatoes and let them cook for about 20 minutes. You can skew the lid a little to get rid of the excess liquid.

I had a very nice pork roast in the freezer and will bake it, have the beans and new potatoes and sliced tomatoes for dinner.

We only spent $36.30 at Aldi's...I got 2 lbs. of real butter @ $1.99 per lb., 2 lbs. of fresh strawberries @ $.99 per lb., pasta, assorted canned goods, wheat crackers, 2 cake mixes, and snacks.

At Country Mart, we got 10 lbs. of ground chuck for $21 which they broke down into 1 pound portions and packaged for free, 4 cans of tuna @ $.49 each, cilantro for the salsa, 2 bags of chips, a whole fryer, hot links and bologna, a bag of salad and a large head of cabbage. We spent $41.28 and have $18.31 left on the card. I have to get some ground cumin and oregano at WalMart, so I should still have enough left to buy milk and bread later on.

This afternoon - can salsa!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: