Monday, June 28, 2010

Pastrami Mama part 2

Hubby got the grill good and smoking...I placed both pieces of meat to the back side away from the fire.

It cooked for approximately 2 hours, then I wrapped it to seal in the juices and steam.


After about another hour, I took the packages off the grill and set them out to cool. After it was cool enough, I put them in the refrigerator.

When they were fully cooled, I removed the foil, sharpened my knife and set to work...thinly slicing the pastrami.

The pastrami is very tender and has a wonderful taste. The outside crust is peppery and very flavorful.


                                     
We piled on the thin pastrami, used a good squeeze of spicy mustartd, sliced onions, pepper cheese and fresh tomatoes and had dill pickles and chips on the side.

This was so worth the effort...it had just a hint of smoke flavor (we used a package of applewood chips) and the coating was crusted on top. It was very easy to slice when cold and I was able to get a good thin slice. The color was right on - it looks every bit like what you find in the store, but the taste is nothing like what you get in the store. It has a full flavor, and the individual spices shone through. I could find no fault with the rub I used, so I'll use it again. This took two days, but most of the time was for soaking, refrigerating and cooking. There was very little hands on time. I believe I'll do it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: