Friday, June 18, 2010

LOOK!!!

The first tomato is about to turn ripe!! I have my salt shaker in my hot little hand and I'm ready for the thing to turn red! I found it this afternoon when I went out to pick blackberries. I nearly broke my neck stepping in a hole to get over there and make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Blackberries are really coming off now...got nearly a gallon today. We've also got tiny cucumbers from the mystery garden - I haven't found any melons yet but I'll bet there is one in there. My raspberries are about to play out. I got nearly a gallon, and for the first year plants (only 2 of them) I think that's great. It will be enough to make some mixed berry jam which will really be good this winter. The new growth has really come up, even under the fence and to the back yard. We outght to have over double the producing plants next year.

When I made my jam the other day, I also made a blackberry cobbler and some pie filling. I mixed the berries with tapioca grains and sugar and cooked it on top of the stove until the tapioca was done. Please take my word for it...the filling is delicious heated and poured over (ahem) ice cream.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: