Wednesday, June 23, 2010

As my Momma used to say...

Sweet Essence of Squaddrops! We bought Little Man some bananas he didn't eat...so I either had to make banana bread or throw them away. I made banana bread.

2 cups unsifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup oleo (I use 1/3 cup butter and 1/3 cup oleo)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 or 3 VERY ripe bananas
1/4 cup plain or crunchy peanut butter

Stir together dry ingredients and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together, beat in eggs. Mash bananas to make 1 cup and add to butter mixture. Add peanut butter and a good shot of vanilla to the mixture. ( I just throw all the stuff together and beat the dickens out of it).

Mix the dry ingredients and the butter mixture together and blend well. Mixture will be thick and creamy. Spoon into 4 or 5 mini loaf pans or 1 large loaf pan that have been coated with no stick spray or butter.

Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

I cover them with a clean tea towel and let them cool. They freeze beautifully.

Use bananas that are very, very ripe. Your bread will have more banana flavor and be more moist. This makes a good "basket" gift...along with a jar of the jam you made this summer. I make this, cream cheese cake and apple bread to freeze right before Christmas to share.

My daughter just walked in with two, count them, two corned beef briskets. I see home made pastrami in the near future!

Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: