Friday, April 2, 2010

Groceries!

I finally got to the grocery store today. My totals from 3 different stores were $47.80, $39.87, and $25.89. I got a 9 pound butt portion ham, 10 pounds of 80/20 ground beef packed in five 2 pound packs, 20 pounds of chicken leg quarters, 2 pounds of bacon, 6 large pork steaks, 2 dozen eggs, bananas, 3 bags of cheese, and other assorted grocery items. The total came to $113.56, $16.56 of which was non-food items.

My coupons totaled $20.50, and I got 6 free cans of dog food and a free bottle of "Big Red" pop valued at $4.90.

Hubby just yelled...he was bagging the chicken leg quarters for me and found a whole chicken in one bag. That was a bonus! We bought quite a few frozen steam pack vegetables - I had coupons for all of them. The bacon was $2.68 per pound, but with my $1.00 off coupon on two packs, it came to $2.18 a pound. The one store that has the magic coins had barbecue sauce for $.29 with 7 magic coins plus it had a save at the register coupon for $.25, making the barbecue sauce a grand total of $.04. The free pop came with the purchase of 2 dozen eggs. I had a coupon for 1 free can of dog food which I got at one store, and a $3.00 off coupon on 5 cans at another store. The dog food was $.58 each for a total of $2.90 so I got it free.

We got two bags each of chicken legs, two bags each of thighs, the whole chicken, and 5 leg quarters which we are cooking on the grill tonight.

When we shop for groceries, we take a calculator and keep up with everything we put in the basket. I only buy what is on sale at a specific store. The non-food items I purchase at WalMart, and I usually have coupons for them. I buy fresh fruit that is in season or on sale. When I get potatoes, I can usually find a bag with a few of baking size in them. Right now onions are terribly high, but I had some in the refrigerator so I didn't get any. Shredded cheese is usually more expensive that block cheese, but today it was on sale and was cheaper the buying the whole block.

This probably won't carry us through the entire month, but it at least got us enough meat to last. We shouldn't have to buy anything for a while but bread and milk.

Have a happy Easter weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: