Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sweet Tooth

Got a sweet tooth the other night so I decided to make mini pineapple upside down cakes. The recipe made 8 serving size cakes and were delicious.


The canned pineapple chunks were $1.00, the other ingredients were nominal, including 1 egg, 1 cup of flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/3 and 1/4 cup butter. The entire recipe will be posted under the recipe page link.

After a short vacation from the kitchen (my Ninja Turtle injuries) I finally got to make the roast pork and dressing I'd had in mind for some time.

                                      

The small pork roast ($3.53) was lightly browned and placed in a 6 qt. slow cooker on medium heat. It cooked until it was tender and almost done. To that, I added my dressing mixture.                   

Cornbread, buns and light bread from my freezer were allowed to thaw and get stale. I crumbled everything and seasoned with salt and pepper and sage from my garden. Sauteed onion and celery were added, along with 5 eggs.
                                   

I added enough chicken broth to make a soupy mixture and poured it into the slow cooker around the pork roast. When the mixture had puffed and crisped around the edges it was ready to serve.

                                    

It was very tasty with the spiced cucumber rings I canned last summer. They are very similar to apple rings, but are made with the cucumbers that are too large to use for pickles. I would generally serve a veggie of some kind, but hubby said all he wanted was dressing and roast. There was plenty of leftover dressing which reheats very well, or it can be shaped into patties and lightly fried in a little butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: