Friday, March 12, 2010

My Achin' Back

We've been working in the yard...the leaf fairy must have visited sometime the other night. I have used muscles that I thought had disappeared a long time ago. The weather was nice though, so it was nice to get outside and do something constructive.

Dinner the other night was a real cheapo. The store where we shop offers "magic coins" to apply on items they select. If they have tuna for $.89 a can, sometimes they offer it for $.09 with 8 magic coins and there is no limit. You receive coins for every $5.00 you spend, so we always wait until something we use a lot of is on sale. The last time they offered tuna, I was able to get 12 cans for $.09 each.


I guess by now you realize my cheapo dinner was...TA DA...fish cakes. The cost for my main dish was: four cans of tuna ($.36), four eggs ($.27), one sleeve saltine crackers ($.25) and chopped onion ($.25), for a total of  $1.13. This made seven large patties. They are excellent reheated for a sandwich the next day. I had a coupon for a steam bag of broccoli with cheese sauce which I got for $.95.



Drain and mash 4 cans tuna and add chopped onion. This is one of those "make how much you want" recipes.

                                     

Crush one sleeve saltine crackers and add to the tuna and onion. If you use fewer cans of tuna, reduce the crackers accordingly.

                                        

Add four eggs or 1 egg per can of tuna.

                                         

Season with black pepper, seasoning salt, or whatever you have a taste for. Mix everything together and shape into patties. Go easy on the salt...the crackers are salted.

                                      

Fry the patties in a little oil or bacon grease, turning occasionally until they are crispy and cooked through. It only takes 15 or 20 minutes. The patties can be made ahead and refrigerated until you're ready to cook.

We had chicken legs last night, $.69 cents a pound, and rice pilaf which I got with a coupon. Today is the 12th, so we're almost halfway through the month and  I still have plenty in my freezer. It's supposed to rain today and tonight, so I'm thinking corn and ham chowder. I have ham in the freezer and plenty of potatoes and celery...that may be a good quick supper while my muscles are healing. We'll see.

1 comment:

Post a comment: