Thursday, September 16, 2010

Which season are you?

This nice cool weather means a change in our eating habits. I tend to associate summer with fresh tomatoes and fruit...grilling outside and fresh veggies. Fall means root vegetables, beans, field peas and so on. Winter is stew, chili, thick chowder type soups, gumbo....real tummy warmers. Spring is kind of the limbo area...warm days mean grilling and getting ready for the hot days while cool days still call for some of the winter stuff. Chocolate is year round.

We've been enjoying these cool late afternoons and evenings, so I got out the old electric roaster and covered the bottom with a layer of country style pork ribs. Sliced up onion and a little Worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper and a little garlic were the seasonings. I turned it on to around 250 degrees and then had to sit there and smell it for an hour. I cleaned 4 sweet potatoes and set them on top of the pork, put the lid on it and let it cook until we were ready to eat...about 3 hours. It's very easy to adjust the heat up or down, depending when you want to dine.
The meat was falling off the bone and the potatoes came out tender. The potatoes flavored the meat a little and it was really good. A pan of stewed cabbage finished off the meal. Baked or steamed sweet potatoes reheat really well. Nuke them until they are hot and slap some butter on them. YUM!

I had a request for goulash and cornbread tonight so goulash it shall be. Haven't had cornbread in a while because I try to avoid heating up the kitchen when it's so hot outside. I have 2 different electric roasters, one small and one large that I use frequently to keep from using the oven. I also have 2 different sizes of slow cookers. I debated about getting one of the new multi crock pots...but I wouldn't use it that much and they are big. Storage is a problem right now in my demolished kitchen.

Going to have Little Man and Big Guy tonight for a while...Mom and Dad both have to work. Big Guy's first tooth came in and I can't wait to see it. I had Little Man the other day and he brought out his extra sets of hands and was into everything. I told him he was going to have to settle down. Hubby came home and was carrying on about something - Little Man came through the room and said "Pawpaw you need to settle down". I couldn't have done any better than that.  Pawpaw settled down.

Have a great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: