Friday, September 3, 2010

Ahhhh...groceries!

Got kinda' slim pickings there at the end...meatloaf was the finale. We decided to just go local, meaning Country Mart here in beautiful downtown Glenpool. Both of us were feeling a little punk and decided to see just how well we could do in one stop.

The good thing is that the ads were all geared to Labor Day and the bargains were plentiful. We bought the usual milk, eggs and so on...still have lots of canned goods. Eggs were $.99 a dozen and I got two. Ice cream was $.99 a half gallon, and again, I got two. Tuna was $.49 a can and I got 10 cans. Hunt's ketchup, my favorite was a whopping $.69 a bottle and to follow suit, I got two. Miracle Whip, the nectar of the Gods, was 2 for $5.00 but I only got 1. Lay's chips and Fritos were 2 for $4 - we got two of each. I bought 10 pounds of ground beef and had it packaged in 1 pound pieces...$18.79. Chicken leg quarters were $5.90 for 10 pounds, a pound of chicken livers $1.15, Farmland hot dogs $.99, bologna $1.19, pork steak $7.04 ($1.59 lb.) and two packages of petit sirloins, enough for 3 meals, $10.61, and a good bit of fresh produce including cabbage, corn, packaged salad, red new potatoes and yellow onions. We bought a few odds and ends but it was all grocery so we paid nothing out of pocket.

The total bill came to $99.01, leaving me $15.99 on my EBT card. Total discounts were $18.13 using our discount card. I used no coupons this time. I don't think we did too bad...I was able to stock up on a couple of things we use a lot of.

With the stuff I have in the freezer that should last us a while. We bought 49 items at an average of $2.02 per item. The cash register receipt had 6 coupons on the back for a free small popcorn at Riverwalk Movies. We don't go out to the movies, but our kids do, so they get to eat free on us!

In addition, the catfish we were given is gone, but another neighbor brought us over two packages of bass fillets. Free is good!

Have a good Labor Day. I mock fashion and wear sandals year round. When you are my age, people just think you're being eccentric and try not to laugh when us comfort dressers walk by. I may turn up on The People of WalMart web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: