Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mom's chicken stew

was really, really good. No matter how I try, I just can't seem to get the same taste I remember. It's good, I guess it just doesn't have her special touch.

I have a huge stock pot that daughter bought for me. It is stainless steel and measured in liters. I decided to make enough stew for both our families. There was a whole chicken and a package of 10 chicken legs in my freezer - so I set to work.

I stewed the chicken, seasoning the broth with leafy celery stalks, onion, sage, salt and pepper. When the chicken was done (it takes around an hour) and the joints moved easily, I removed it from the stock and set it in a large bowl to cool.


I then strained the broth into my great big pot.



To this I added 3 sliced celery stalks cut on the bias....


a whole chopped onion...


four cans of stewed tomatoes, about a cup of quick cooking barley, two drained cans of whole kernel corn, 2 drained cans of sliced carrots, 3 small cans of mushrooms, about a cup of shaved cabbage and seasonings - basil, dried parsley,salt and pepper, a little Worcestershire sauce and about a tablespoon of beef stock flavoring.



 I let this simmer the better part of the afternoon. When it tasted just about right, I added the chicken that I'd removed from the bone. As you can see, I had a large amount and left it in nice big chunks.


Since the chicken was already cooked, it just needed to heat through. I ended up with 9 liters of stew, plenty to share with daughter and her family.



It was sooooo good! Especially since there was snow and ice on the ground. To me, this is the definition of pure comfort food. Hubby likes the juice and drinks it from a mug. I made a pan of cornbread - he likes to put a big piece in the bottom of his bowl and pour stew over it. I have to agree, it's pretty good that way.

You can add anything to this....whatever you like or have a taste for. If you don't think you have enough broth just add a can or two...you can make as much or as little as you want.

It warms you down to your toes!

Have a super day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: