Saturday, July 17, 2010

The tomatoes that ate Birch Street

I have been picking tomatoes every day. I have them laid all over my counters, on the bar, and some in the fridge. My kids have tomatoes, our neighbors have tomatoes, and pretty soon we're going to have to open "Tomato City" out on our front lawn.

The big ones I can cope with...the little ones, cherry, plum and grape types, is another story. Our little rogue cherry tomato that came up behing our mailbox has spread out to the yard, and we're getting about two to three cups a day. Our neighbors have a little toddler who loves them, and we've been keeping them supplied until yesterday. Every day we would walk over a bag of cherry tomatoes and she would run up with her arms out and say "MINE, MINE". I make sure they're washed, because they usually don't make it in the house. Yesterday her dad, when asked if they needed more, said "We still have some. You should come over here and change her diapers some time". Hmmm...was that a hint?


They really are very nice and taste great, so Hubby and I are going to freeze them whole and when things slow down, we can run them through the food mill to get the pulp and make ketchup or tomato sauce. Guess I'd better hunt me up a recipe for something. They are too dear to pitch and I will not sit there and let them rot.

We have a cantaloupe that is turning and will be ready soon. It's so dang hot I don't know how anything is making it now. I went out to pick today and we have one of those great big black and yellow garden spiders in one bed. Glad I saw him before I looked him in the eye when I bent over to pick a tomato. That would not have been pretty.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: