Sunday, July 18, 2010

I digress...

frequently. I was looking around my house today and found several things you might like to hear about. I guess you can surmise that frugality is what I am striving for...I don't mean cheap...I mean being cautious with your money and your time.

Our house is a work in progress and we have the back end (bedrooms, bathrooms, coat closet and entry way) nearly done. I have always wanted a pot rack, but I didn't want to pay a small fortune for it. Our neighbor was trying to hone his carpentry skills and built us a permanent bar. Our house is small and a dining table was not very practical. The kind of entertaining we do calls more for buffet and sit where you can find a spot, so a bar was perfect. I wanted this pot rack directly over the bar, as it is the end of the working space I have in the kitchen.
Hobby Lobby had a sale on their garden items, and I went browsing and found this cast iron "door mat" which is meant to be used to scrape your feet when you come in. It was a really pretty dark green antique looking finish and has frogs and reeds in the design. We simply measured, marked for the exact placement, bought heavy duty hooks and put the in the ceiling timbers. Hubby hung about four links of heavy chain on each hook, and another heavy duty S hook attached the chain to the grill. We then got lighter weight S hooks to hang in the grill work and hung our pans from those.

My cost: the grill was on sale for 50% off of $20.00. The hooks were another $5.00 and Hubby had the chain we needed in his shop. $15.00 and a little time. We hung a length of chain from the center of the grill, put S hooks in the chain, and that's where I hang the lids.

We bought bar stools on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond and had a 20% off coupon from signing up for email notices.  By doing this, we also freed up some much needed cabinet space.

We got our first cantaloupe today...it smells like cantaloupe heaven.

                             
It's a pretty nice size and if it tastes as good as it looks and smells our Mystery Garden was well worth the attention.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: