Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pickled Okra

Wow has the okra started to come off...the faster you pick it the faster it comes back. I already have three gallon sacks in the freezer, so I decided to pickle some.

This is very, very simple. You start with canning basics, which is clean, sterilized jars, lids and rings.
Gather the okra you want to pickle. Pint jars are easier to fill, but quarts will work as well.
Match the size of the okra to the jar. It has to be completely covered with brine, so you don't want the pods sticking out of the jar.
Into each jar, place a dried red pepper...you can use crushed red pepper if you don't have the dried pods. This is entirely to your taste. I find a whole pepper works fine. Put in a piece or two of whole peeled garlic. Put in about 1/8 tsp. of alum. Some recipes don't call for alum, so that is your choice too. Put a large dill head in. If you don't have fresh or dried dill, dill seeds will work. I wouldn't recommend using dried dill weed...it sticks to the okra. (Makes me feel like I've got grass in my mouth).
Now, trim the stem end of the okra down to about a half inch. Don't cut the end completely off. Place the whole okra in the jar, staggering the stem ends up and down.

Make a brine of 4 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup canning salt. Canning salt is merely salt without iodine in it. Regular table salt will discolor the pickles. Place in a sauce pan and bring to a rolling boil.

While the brine is coming to a boil, I insert a metal skewer down the side of each jar. This takes the heat and might save you a burst jar when you pour in the hot liquid. You can use a table knife...anything that will rest on the bottom and extend out the top. When your brine starts boiling, get your HOT lids and rings ready, also wet a paper towel to wipe the jar edges before you put the lid on.

I have a large measuring pitcher I pour the boiling brine in...then I pour it into each jar, making sure to cover the okra. Remove the skewer, wipe the jar edges, put on a lid and ring and tighten the ring just to hand pressure.

I came out with one quart and two pints. Notice the front jar is bright...I went out and picked it right before I used it. The other two jars were made with thawed, frozen pods. Let the jars cool completely. The lids should pop and sink down in the middle, indicating a seal.

Now the hard part - they have to sit 4 to 6 weeks before they are ready to eat. They will be tart and taste of dill and garlic with a little heat. Excellent with anything!

If you have brine left, just put it in a jar and heat it up when you need to pickle another jar. It is no trouble to do two or three jars at a time.

My cost for 2 quarts of pickled okra: about $1 worth of vinegar, about $.10 worth of salt, and about $.20 cents worth of garlic. See what it costs at the grocery...you will be doubly proud of what you did.

Happy pickling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: