Friday, December 17, 2010

Fried Catfish!

We wanted something a little different for supper last night...Hubby's Mom sent home some catfish steaks so I thawed them out and fried them. Boy were they good! I didn't have any coating mix, so I made my own. I put a couple of cups of yellow cornmeal in the food processer, put a good bit of Cajun seasoning in it and processed it until it turned into corn flour.


When we got ready to eat, I heated up the deep fryer, dredged the fish steaks in the seasoned corn flour and dropped them in the hot grease.


When the grease is right, the fish drop to the bottom and then start to come up to the top. I don't stir them around until they start to brown...the coating stays on the fish better. When the pieces float they are done. Remove and drain well, put on a flat pan covered with newspaper and paper towels and place in a warm (180 degree) oven. Don't crowd the pan - it needs to be done about 5 pieces at a time.



When the last of the fish was cooked, I coated cut up potatoes with the seasoned corn flour and fried them in the fish grease. SOOOOO Good!

We had slaw, onion and pickles with the fish and potatoes and pralines for dessert. Make you slap your pappy!

Looking rainy (or snowy) outside today...white Christmas maybe???

Little Man stayed with me a while yesterday so Mom could get her candy made. He took every candy cane off the tree except for the 3 he couldn't reach. He has a rider truck toy with a storage compartment as the seat. He put all the candy canes in it and rode all over the house. I thought he would probably forget about the candy canes and I would put them back on the tree when he left. When daughter came to get him they started to leave and he ran over to the truck, got all the candy canes out and put them in the bag he brought his toys in. So, my tree is naked. I should have known something as important as candy canes would not have been forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment: